Thursday 11 May 2017

TALES FROM SHED HQ - 30mm Round Bases (Part One)

Shed HQ has been a hive of activity over the last few days as preparations are underway for this years Joy of Six show. On the workbench at the moment are a load of British and Soviet. I have been slowly re-basing all my forces, which will be a huge task, as over the years I have used several different basing styles but I have now decided to settle on one and re-base everything!

As I was working on some recce units for the British I started thinking how I could make the bases more interesting. My regular forces, armour, infantry etc are all based on 40mm x 20mm x 2mm MDF bases but HQ's, CO's, Recce and FAO/FOO's are all based on different sizes for ease of recognition. So I have decided to take a bit more time on these bases. First up 30mm diameter bases for Recce units.

What to do with a plain 30mm diameter base?

I have come up with several ideas, some inspired by fellow Cold War Commanders, including small streams, roads, fields and railways.

1. British Recce Unit - Heroics & Ros Scorpion Fv101 (BM05)
Just added a small section of ruined wall and some clump foliage to make this Recce Unit for a British Armoured Regiment.




2. British Recce Unit - Heroics & Ros Scorpion Fv101 (BM05)
Just added a small amount of clump foliage to make another Recce Unit for a British Armoured Regiment.

WIP bases for more Recce Units which I will detail in Part Two. 

Using spare bits of Hornby Track Planner makes a really interesting base. 

Small streams are another interesting addition to the base

I have also added road edges to the bases.

The bases detailed above will all have other terrain added to enhance the look so keep a look out for Part Two when I will be detailing the finished bases and also making a start on 40mm x 40mm HQ Bases.

As always thanks for looking. 

PS. DON'T FORGET THE COLD WAR COMMANDERS WILL BE AT BARRAGE 2017 IN STAFFORD ON SUNDAY JULY 9TH AND ALSO THE JOY OF SIX IN SHEFFIELD ON SUNDAY JULY 16TH. IF YOU ARE GOING PLEASE COME AND SAY HELLO.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Richard,
    great idea, nicely done.
    Cheers
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve, I want to start doing a load more posts like this with details of the miniatures used etc. A lot like you do with Little Lead Arms Race where you list the Ref. No. and Manufacturer.
      Cheers, Richard P

      Delete